Sunday, September 20, 2009

Enjoying Veggies!

Last Saturday morning Izzy and I visited a local farmers' market and bought a sweet potato, butternut squash, green beans, pears, plums and peaches. I had read how easy it is to make your own baby food and figured I'd give it a try. I baked or steamed each food and then pureed it and froze it in ice cube trays. Each cube of food is about one ounce, so we just take out a cube each night for her to try. Her pediatrician said to eat each new food for 4 days to make sure she doesn't have an allergic reaction before going on to the next food. We decided to start with green beans and as you can tell from this picture, Izzy's first night didn't go very well! She was enjoying her cereal but as soon as I tried to sneak in a little of the green beans, she started crying and wanted nothing more to do with the meal. The next night, though, it was like she's been eating green beans all her life and she thought nothing of it. Wednesday night we tried butternut squash and she really likes it! Tonight we'll try sweet potatoes and then move on to the fruits later this week. We have the feeling our little Chunk won't find many foods she doesn't like!

We've had a great weekend walking downtown and eating out Friday night and then getting together with friends to watch the Clemson game (Go Tigers!) yesterday. Now we're relaxing after church and thinking about the chores we need to do around the house and yard. We'll get to them eventually... :)

Here are a few pictures and a little video from the week.


Playing on the sofa- she's getting very good at supporting herself



All clean after a bath- still loves bathtime


She's really enjoying her exersaucer!


After church today




3 comments:

October said...

I better get down there before she is over my weight limit to pick up!

Doc said...

Oh my goodness. I *love* this blog. I imagine I would probably have the same reaction if someone slipped beans into my cereal too! Can't wait to see and read more adventures about Izzy, the Amazingly Beautiful Baby!!

Jesse Payne said...

Izzy is getting so big! I can't believe she is already into foods.:)